Green smoothies, green salads… green cookies? Wait, what? While I’m not going to suggest we replace smoothies and salads with cookies, I am going to encourage nutrient dense sweets! If we’re going to bake a sweet treat now and again, why not sneak in some health promoting foods like kale?
But… kale in my cookie? I know, it sounds savory and odd for a cookie, but I promise these coconut-ty lime bombs do not taste like kale despite the hefty load of greens! Kale is high in vitamins K, A, and C amongst many others and contains loads of invaluable nutrition. In fact, nearly every ingredient in this recipe has wonderful nutritional value to offer. Almonds, arrowroot, coconut, limes, chia seeds, and yes, even maple syrup has nutritional benefits!
Mmm mm these little green goodies are so delicious! But don’t just take my word for it, try them! If you like limes, and if you like coconut, than you will LOVE these cookies! They’re soft’n fluffy, have some chew, and hold together nicely.
That first bite – maybe the best bite – that rejuvenating citrus flavor and that sweetly soft texture coming to life – pleasing your tastebuds, your tummy, your soul… for realz.
Not to mention, green cookies are just plain ‘ole fun!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups kale – loosely packed
- 2 limes (juice & zest)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- Whisk together all of the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor combine the kale, chia seeds, coconut milk, and the juice & zest of 2 limes. Process until as smooth as possible. The chia seeds will thicken this blend up quite a bit.
- Pour the kale mixture into the dry mixture along with the maple syrup. Stir well and let the batter sit for a few minutes.
- Scoop onto a parchment lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. These cookies will not spread, so if you want a flat cookie you’ll just have to squish it!
This batch makes about 24 golfball sized cookies.
Let me know how you like them!