Aside from the love I have for cobalt blue eye-liner, I’ve never really been much into make up. I prefer a more natural look (and product) on my lips and face, making this lip & cheek tint a pretty nice fit! It adds just the right amount of rosy pink enhancement – all while nourishing, hydrating, and protecting those precious lips from chapping. It’s entirely all natural, simple, and practical – so skip the products filled with synthetic chemicals and artificial fragrances and make this pure, earthy and deeply nourishing lip and cheek tint yourself!
The main ingredients used in this recipe; shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax are familiar, versatile, and most importantly REAL. They offer many benefits and make for lovely companions to keep on hand for so many different DIY body care essentials. They all have a fairly long shelf life so don’t be afraid to stock up!
Shea Butter – Deeply hydrating and nourishing with its high Vitamin A & E content, as well as fatty acids, unrefined shea butter works wonders on dry, chapped, and damaged skin. It’s also great for aging skin as it has the ability to rejuvenate collagen, keeping your skin strong yet soft and supple.
Coconut Oil – Famous for doing just about everything, coconut oil is high in healing antioxidants like Vitamin E. It absorbs quickly and deeply into the skin. It helps eliminate dead dry skin cells while being soothing and nourishing.
Beeswax – Used in many beauty products to add body, beeswax also adds a protective barrier helping to prevent chapping and irritation. It is both softening and hydrating by drawing in and sealing moisture to your lips and skin.
Alkanet – The dark red root of this little blue flower has forever been used as a natural colorant, imparting a beautiful red hue into its product. It also adds a protective, emollient quality.
- 2 tbsp Unrefined Shea Butter
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp for a softer spreadable consistency – great for tins
- 2 tbsp for a firm consistency – great for tubes
- 1 tbsp Alkanet Root Powder
- 10-20 drops of your favorite essential oil – I like peppermint! (optional)
- 4-6 half ounce tins (the amount of oil lost in filtering will vary)
- Place the shea butter, coconut oil, and alkanet root into a heatproof measuring cup or jar and place into a shallow pot of water. This will act as a makeshift double boiler. Heat and stir the oils until melted.
- Strain the melted oils into another heatproof jar through layers of cheesecloth to filter out the excess alkanet root.
- Add the beeswax and re-heat until melted. Test the consistency by placing a spoonful into the freezer for a few minutes. Add a little more wax or more oil to suit your preference.
- Remove from heat, stir in your essential oil, pour into your containers, and let cool until firm. You can pop them into the fridge if you’re in a hurry to use it!